[texworks] Current status of Tw development

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 06:42:53 CET 2010

On 22 November 2010 00:32, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> wrote:
> Le 18 nov. 2010 à 07:56, Paul A Norman a écrit :
>
>> P.s. regarding printing pdf  from preview - I should add that from
>> using TeXworks as a typesetter, and the proofing point of view, it is
>> extremely important to at some point to actually print out (and
>> preview), not from the poppler library Tw uses, but from pdf viewers
>> that are going to render the typeset material as your users will
>> likely see it and print it. And I understand that many assume Acrobat
>> Reader is still way up there in the numbers.
>
> Here I must admit I do not see your point. Are you saying that the poppler library, and xpdf on which it is based, do not render PDF code in an accurate way? And that there can be such thing as an inaccurate PDF interpreter?

Here you are Bruno - its in the paragraph after the one you quoted
form my posting.

>There are things that the poppler previewer may never show or print
>properly (presently many \pdfcomment type macros  for example)

In that case poppler leaves a blank space equivalent as far as I can
tell equal in size to the image that Acroibat Reader would normally
insert, but does not provide any of the attendant functionality that
would normally accompany various \pdfcomments.

> Adobe Reader/Acrobat is probably more complete than the other PDF interpreters out there, either the free xpdf, poppler and gs or the PDF Kit inside OS X, in that it can display more complex or less documented PDF constructs that the other PDF viewers can't.
>
> But other than that, all PDF interpreters are supposed to render PDF code accurately to screen, and to convert it to accurate PS code for printing. Or did I misunderstand something?

As far as I know only Acrobat Reader renders most of the standard,
everything else renders less.

> Or maybe when you write "printing pdf from preview" you mean using a screenshot of the View window for printing?

No I think Stefan has postscript being sent directly to printers in
the Windows versions of the Tw devlopment runs, which then defaults to
a bitmap of the currently visible area of the previewer if PostScripot
is not useful to the printer - is that right Steffan?

Paul