[texworks] Current status of Tw development

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 14:13:51 CET 2010

This is slightly off topic, since we're talking about printing, but may
be useful to know.

I've tried several different PDF viewers, both open source and
commercial.  They are all accurate (as far as I have noticed; the issue
Paul mentions with poppler putting in extra space has not happened to
me) but the quality of the on-screen rendering varies. On my system
PDF-XChange gives noticeably nicer type than does Adobe Reader, with
Sumatra and FoxIt in between.  {Printed output is virtually identical on
all of them.)  Adobe Reader is also slow and bloated, even though it is
apparently the most widely used reader.  For these reasons I recommend
just the "open in default PDF viewer" rather than any special treatment
for Adobe Reader, as was suggested at one point.

Stefan asked how many people use Tw for professional typesetting.  I
don't make my living doing typesetting, but I do produce documents that
I want to be of professional quality to distribute on my website.  And I
do know about kerning and stuff . . .

David