[texworks] Current status of Tw development

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:09:51 CET 2010

On 21 November 2010 21:46, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-11-18 07:56, Paul A Norman wrote:
>> P.s. regarding printing pdf  from preview - I should add that from
>> using TeXworks as a typesetter, and the proofing point of view, it is
>> extremely important to at some point to actually print out (and
>> preview), not from the poppler library Tw uses, but from pdf viewers
>> that are going to render the typeset material as your users will
>> likely see it and print it. And I understand that many assume Acrobat
>> Reader is still way up there in the numbers.
>
> I agree. If you do professional typesetting, eventually all that count
> is the printout, I guess. The next question would be: how many people do
> professional typesetting here (and with Tw alone)? And how many use it
> because it gives nice output, etc., but have never so much as heard
> about kerning and the likes? Of course, Tw should support both
> approaches, but it would nevertheless be interesting to know. But right
> now, I guess there are more important things to focus on ;).

When your pdf goes "into the wild" you just want it to work the best
however the person at the other end decides to use things, especially
if they  print it off ---- then you want a professional result!

> BTW: poppler should give accurate results as far as layout etc. is
> concerned. Some things (like forms, comments, ...) are not ideal, but as
> far as typesetting is concerned, this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I can determine so far, poppler leaves and accurate empty
space when it can not present something.

Paul