[texworks] MSVC build of Texworks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:15:37 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-11-20 09:19, Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> It seems that the MSVC build of texworks in MikTex has a good
> bidirectional algorithm than MinGW build of texworks in Texlive 2010.

This is interesting yet disturbing. In what way is the MiKTeX build
better than the TL build?
Please note, though, that TL comes with TeXworks 0.2.3, while MiKTeX
uses the 0.3 development series, IIRC. So this - together with the
versions of the libraries used - can make a large difference.

> Is it possible to change that of texlive to MSVC build or is it
> possible to put an MSCV build of the current texworks in googlecode or
> http://www.leliseron.org/texworks/. I tried to build from source for
> myself but I wasn't able to do that.

The chances for switching to MSVC are pretty slim, I'm afraid. Besides,
I don't think (hope?) it depends on the compiler...
However, the builds on leliseron are also quite outdated now. Could you
try those at
http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325258/projects/c/texworks/? They are
built against the most recent version of Qt as well.

If this doesn't help, I'd be very interested in investigating this
further. I don't have much experience with bidirectionality, so any
sample files, step-by-step descriptions etc. would be very welcome.

HTH