[texworks] Current status of Tw development

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 23:59:24 CET 2010

Hi,

I would agree that some indication be given on the file menu to the
user that printing from TeXworks is not yet (if ever) supported, and
at that point what about a sub menu offering to open the ( already
typeset document ) in whatever their default pdf viewer is on their
system (possibly utilising and altering Jonathan Kew's script - 26th
January 2010). TW.app.launchFile(TW.target.fileName); may need to
change .ext if this is on the Editor's File menu as well.

 [Are we calling Scirpts from C++ for ver 0.4 ?]

Checking first that there is an already typeset document? And assuming
that their default viewer can print. If there is no default, their
system should prompt them to set one up, or associate the .pdf with
something (that would be OS dependant).

Menu something like?

/File/
 <other File menu items first >
  /Print/
   [sub menu]     /Printing Not Available/  [always greyed]
                        /Open in default Pdf Viewer/ [normal colours -
mouseover: for printing]
                        /Experimental Printing/  [greyed - or normal colours
                                                            for
where/when it is already possible - OS detected]
 <other File menu items ... >

Make /Open in default Viewer/ and /Experimental Printing/ (above)
available if document is typeset, otherwise greyed out.

There is an advantage if some tricky features are not implemented all
at once in all OS-es, for example if Linux gets it first or whatever.

Here, as each Tw release advances, /Experimental Printing/ would be
available to more OS-es. Benefit is that in effect it would be a
staggered or progressive roll out, so if one OS gets it before the
others this becomes a benefit from a development point of view, in
that we are trouble shooting one thing at a time, rather than be
deluged by all sorts of problems relating to specific OS-es and their
sub-releases on a new or enhanced Tw feature..

Final result being that all OS-es have it available --- if it is to be
implemented at all.

I could live with my default pdf viewer handling printing. Just
include details in TeXworks manual as to how to set/change a default
pdf viewer in each main OS.

And perhaps get another possible Print sub menu item in - specifically

      /Open in Acrobat Reader/ [mouseover: if available]

Paul