[texworks] Scripts: script engine documentation version

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:25:24 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-11-03 11:30, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> With the propoosed Tw 0.4 release, which version of the script
> documentation is going to be relevant please?
>
> 4.4   http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtscript.html or  -->
>
> And with the next series of committs for development version which set
> of the same document should I look at please?

This is difficult to answer. Essentially, it depends on the Qt version
the application was built with and the one it is running on. All I can
give you are a few general facts:
* the latest current Qt version is 4.7
* therefore, I'd expect one-time, (monolithic) builds to be 4.7 or maybe
4.6. This affects Windows and probably Mac builds
* on Linux, most systems come with a bundled version of Qt, which can be
substantially older.
* for Ubuntu, I think we can safely drop the 8.04 LTS in favor of the
10.04 LTS release by now. This leaves us with 4.5 as oldest Qt version.
* I'm not sure about other *nix distros, though.

So, to sum this up: 4.4 is certainly save. If you can do things with
that, this certainly is preferable. 4.5 should work on most systems as
well. 4.6 should work for many average users (who update regularly), but
might leave some people out (e.g., if using company PCs that require
unwilling sys-admins to update ;)). Anything later I would not recommend
at this time, at least not without a special note/readme.

HTH