[texworks] TeX-Works-Workflow: printing?

Helge Kruse Helge.Kruse-nospam at gmx.net
Sun Oct 17 09:27:07 CEST 2010

Am 16.10.2010 19:33, schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>   Hi,
>
> Am 2010-10-16 19:01, schrieb Helge Kruse:
>> Yes. It's in my MiKTeX tree. The exact version is:
>>    Version 0.3 (r514)(MiKTeX 2.8)
>> The LaTeX document was a sample with old German fonts. Since it was
>> just an experiment I probably printed it directly from TW. I cannot
>> say that I printed using TW or using Adobe Reader.
>
> I lost you here. When did you print with which version of Tw? It should
> always give the same quality. Well, in fact, that's not entirely true,
> as it may depend on what your printer driver supports on Windows.
> Anyway, I don't really suggest Tw for printing, especially on Windows,
> so there's a reason why this isn't official yet ;).

I always used 0.3(r514). When I printed with another software this
should have been any Adobe Reader version (what is also updated from
time to time).

>> Are there other important changes from 0.3r514 to 0.3r567? I would
>> expect a version number change, when the feature set is changed. Where
>> can I read about the version numbering scheme?
>
> I don't know if the numbering scheme is documented somewhere. Basically,
> even version numbers (0.2, 0.4, ...) are stable releases, whereas odd
> version numbers (0.1, 0.3, 0.5, ...) are development versions.
> Everything behind the 'r' gives the internal revision. As such, features
> are expected to change throughout the different revisions of the
> development versions (as they are developed). For a complete change set,
> see the Google code page:
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/list?num=55&start=567 (warning:
> this is programming-specific and not for the faint-hearted ;)).
> To give a short overview of what has happened between r514 and r567:
> - Significant improving to scripting (lua, python, ...)
> - Addition of the experimental "follow focus"
> - smarten quotes
> - translation updates
> - improvements to "Remove Aux Files"
> - encoding and line ending status bar widgets

So it's always worth to look at newer revision numbers. The change log
is great. Somehow hidden in the sources at the google source site, but
with no problem for me. Don't know if it's worth to have a more coarse
change log for other users...

> HTH
Indeed, I learned a lot.

Thanks,