[texworks] TeX-Works-Workflow: printing?

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 05:37:39 CEST 2010

For what it's worth, I just updated to the brand new MiKTeX 2.9.  It
includes TW .03 r670 (that's according to Help/About; quite a jump from
567).  This version prints and the quality seems good, although I have
printed only a couple of simple pages so far.

I understand Stefan's explanations about why printing is not officially
supported, but I must say I'm glad to have it in any form.  I just
finished a book using TW.  Early in the project I didn't print much, but
at the end I was going back and forth constantly between TW and my PDF
viewer in order to print (and occasionally forgetting to close the PDF,
which resulted in broken pipe errors). This got really, really annoying.
  I have no idea about how the MiKTeX people did it, whether using
Stefan's old patch or in some other way; of course, they don't have to
worry about cross-platform compatibility since MiKTeX is Windows only.

I guess what I'm saying is that when TW was younger and less widely used
the line "Just open your PDF viewer to print" was OK.  If we want TW to
be adopted more widely (and by those new to TeX) I think printing really
needs to be addressed; it's something users expect, and rightly so.

David