[texworks] Project Management type stuff

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 04:04:37 CEST 2010

Dear Stefan,

> PS: Originally, with "project support" I meant the support of a
> multi-file document, possibly with figures, etc. I did not originally
> target multi-user, multi-platform cooperation (similar to what version
> control is often used for in programming). But of course there's no
> reason not to think in that direction, too :).

Nicola Talbot (UK TUG) has prepared java based gui utiltiies and LaTeX
packages to help facilitate magazine and newspaper layouts.
( http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/
  http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/jpgfdraw/ for use with the flowfram package
  http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/jpgfdraw/manual/flowframe.html
  http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/flowfram
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/flowfram/ffuserguide.pdf
)

We have been starting projects (NPO) aimed that way and have found
LaTeX surprissingly suited for complex magazines. These are semi
formal and often require the authorinbg tools that LaTeX abounds in -
comprehensive indexing etc..

One of the benefits is the low memory overhead when working with the
source document(s) and in TeXworks the ability to sync between the
preview and the source.

However the tasks are collaberative ones (partly why I have focussed
on help information and utilities to get people up to speed), with
people sometimes needing to "see" their portions rendered during
preparaton, according to the current styles. So my on going intereset
in project / collaberative development areas.

This sort of thing will possibly become a growth area as tools become
available to leverage LaTeX towards this new pool of these kinds of
potential LaTeX users!

Paul