[texworks] external read-access causes TeXWorks to revert open file to old version

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:35:18 CEST 2010

 Hi,

I did some quick tests here (Ubuntu, r670) and didn't experience
problems so far. Since I'm not familiar with hgtk, here's what I did:
1) Create an empty local folder
2) Initialize repository by `hgtk init`
3) Create a file test.tex and add it by `hgtk add`
4) Made some changes to test.tex without saving
5) Commit by `hgtk commit`
6) Switch back to Tw
7) Save changes from before
8) repeat from 4

I also tried modifying and commiting another file separately.
Please advise if you did something different (e.g., if you work with
non-local files/repositories/network file systems/several branches at once).

Note that Tw should never reload a file that is marked as modified
(e.g., with an asterisk in the title bar) without confirmation of the
user (a dialog pops up in case Tw detects that the file was modified on
the harddisk). For files that are not modified (since the last time they
were saved), Tw reloads them automatically if they change on the hard
disk. So if this mechanism is working as expected, the file would be
reverted back to its earlier form somewhere else.
Does a similar issue occur with other text editors? Or does the problem
persist if you close Tw before and reopen it after the commit?
Unfortunately, since I can't reproduce the problem myself, I can't offer
much more help than this speculation.

BTW: The most current version is r671. Experimental Windows builds are
available at
http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325258/projects/c/texworks/. I don't
know of any such Fedora builds, but on Linux it's fairly easy to build
Tw (see http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/Building; note, though,
that the Qt devel files are probably quite large).

HTH