[texworks] external read-access causes TeXWorks to revert open file to old version

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:50:11 CEST 2010

Stefan,

We may need a TeXWorks developer to step in here, but I know they are
very cautious and thorough in their development procedures and I
respect them for that, so it would seem a little unlikely that
TeXWorks by itself would be the issue here ...

Do you have a completely different machine you can try and replicate this from?

This part of your original posting makes me think that it is possibly
a caching issue of commits from RAM to your hardrive.

" most of the times TeXWorks restores an version of the open file
which is older than the saved document"

I assume that the apparent "version" of the document has exactly the same name?

The bit about TeXWorks closing itself - makes me think about RAM
pirarcy going on in the memory processes.

At a guess, a few things point to some sort of possible memory
violation on your machine perhaps?

Has there been any history of RAM memory problems on your machine at all please?

Also, there are newer  Windows versions of TexWorks available from
Alian Delmot's  here (marked development but quite stable):

http://www.leliseron.org/texworks/      You'll notice that the number
is v0.3  r606

And if you are happy to build it for other OS's, links are here:
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/

Paul