[texworks] Smart quotes?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Aug 11 17:07:03 CEST 2010

Setup: Mac OS X 10.6.4, TeXworks 0.3r567.

Every time I am attempting to write a backquote ` followed by a word, TeXworks insists on inserting a space between the two.

Example: I'm trying to write

	We replaced `infinitesimal' by `infinitely small' and `infinite' by `infinitely large'

but TeXworks makes it

	We replaced ` infinitesimal' by ` infinitely small' and ` infinite' by ` infinitely large'

More precisely, it seems to me the way to input such things is type a grave accent ` then space (so as to get the grave accent by itself) then the following text. Typing ` then the space is OK, it yields a grave accent by itself, but then when I type the following text TeXworks inserts suddenly a space on its own initiative.

The Smart Quotes mode is set to Off in TeXworks Preferences > Editor. Am I missing something elementary?

Bruno Voisin