[texworks] message from TeXworks user(MiKTeX)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jul 18 01:46:16 CEST 2010

On 18 July 2010 Bruno Voisin wrote:

 > Le 17 juil. 2010 à 20:54, ThomasH a écrit :
 >
 > > I cannot find a place to add the path my all macros and styles,
 > > what is D:\TeXmac.
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > When I start MikTeX tool to add "roots" path, in the hope
 > > that would me used by TeX, system says "Not a TDS-compliant
 > > root directory."
 >
 > I imagine this means the directory you are trying to add to the
 > path is not organized internally according to the TeX Directory
 > Structure. For example, in a TDS-compliant texmf tree, LaTeX input
 > files go to texmf/tex/latex, PostScript fonts in texmf/fonts/type1,
 > MetaFont sources to texmf/fonts/source, and so forth.
 >
 > I'm not a Windows user and am not familiar with MikTeX,
 > unfortunately. Does texdoc exist on it? If so, then run "texdoc
 > kpathsea" and look at section 2.4 giving a brief summary of
 > TDS. Otherwise see

 > <http://mirror.ctan.org/info/doc-k/kpathsea.pdf>.

texdoc doesn't support MikTeX.  I'm not a Windows user either, but
AFAIK MikTeX provides a similar tool called "mt-help".

And I recommend people who are unfamiliar with TDS to look into the
TDS documentation first, especially because MikTeX doesn't use
kpathsea at all.  The author of MikTeX provided his own library though
AFAIK the user interface is quite compatible with that of kpathsea.

The kpathsea docs describe the internals.  MikTeX users should be
aware that not everything described there applies to MikTeX.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25