[texworks] \includegraphics prlem with xelatex on Mac Ox

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 9 18:57:56 CEST 2010

Le 9 juil. 2010 à 17:49, Kaushik Sinha a écrit :

> I figured out the out the problem. It seems on-the-fly conversion of
> EPS files to PDFs is not supported on TexLive 2009.  So if I open
> the eps file save it as pdf and then include this pdf file to my latex
> document using includegraphics then xelatex works fine on mac.
>
> I have been told that on the fly conversion of EPS to PDF will be
> supported in TexLive 2010.
> Waiting to get that one :-)

Regarding on-the-fly conversion, you've got to activate shell-escape to allow pdfLaTeX to run shell commands. See Preferences > Typesetting > Processing tools, select pdfLaTeX and press the Edit button, then make sure there's a

	--shell-escape

line in the Arguments.

However, that's for pdfLaTeX only. XeLaTeX as of TeX Live 2010 allows this by default I think, and in any case I'm not even sure this is necessary: in the log file for the XeLaTeX run in my first message in this thread, there was no indication of on-the-fly conversion

	File: new_picture.eps Graphic file (type eps)
	<new_picture.eps>

as opposed to the log file for a pdfLaTeX run

	Package epstopdf Info: Source file: <new_picture.eps>
	(epstopdf)                    date: 2010-07-09 09:46:12
	(epstopdf)                    size: 95071 bytes
	(epstopdf)             Output file: <new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf>
	(epstopdf)                    date: 2010-07-09 18:52:17
	(epstopdf)                    size: 73678 bytes
	(epstopdf)             Command: <repstopdf --outfile=new_picture-eps-converted-
	to.pdf new_picture.eps>
	(epstopdf)             \includegraphics on input line 8.
	Package epstopdf Info: Output file is already uptodate.

	<new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf, id=1, 963.6pt x 722.7pt>
	File: new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf Graphic file (type pdf)

	<use new_picture-eps-converted-to.pdf>

If XeLaTeX in TeX Live 2009 doesn't have shell-escape on by default and it is indeed required for including EPS file, then all you need to do is add the option

	-shell-escape

(notice the single hyphen at the beginning instead of the double hyphen for pdfLaTeX) in the arguments of the XeLaTeX processing tool.

Hope this works,

Bruno Voisin