[texworks] HELP: Integrated Tw LaTeX2e Help dialogue

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 12:35:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-07-04 11:23, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> On 4 July 2010 19:40, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW: why don't you use createUI(filename, parent)
>> with the .ui file (parent is optional, and defaults to a global dialog)?
>>
> Thanks Stefan,
>
> Reason for above is covered in the source code notes - there is an
> important property needing to be used that can not be accessed from
> QtScripting.

Oops, I overlooked the comment - sorry.
But the following seems to work for me:
helpLatex2e = TW.createUI(baseDir + "helpLatex2e.ui");
TW.findChildWidget(helpLatex2e, "helpBrowser").searchPaths = new
Array(baseDir + 'html');

I guess you might have missed the array (the searchPaths property
requires a QStringList, according to docs)?

> This will happen with a number of things that need to be localised to
> the User's computer, and a placeholder can be set in QtCreator then
> .replace(ed) in the xml before creating the dialogue from xml string.

That's a really clever idea! Though, as pointed out above, maybe
unnecessary in the present case.

>> This should be easier and faster than manually reading the content of
>> the file in the script.
>>

> What Qt are actually on 4.3 or as the help about says in Tw (0.3 ver
> 649), Qt framework 4.6?

I don't really understand the question. If you're referring to which Qt
version we use, the answer is the following:
The help dialog gives the version Tw was compiled with. If you use the
"send mail to mailing list" menu item, you'll see even more information
(what version it was compiled with and what version it currently runs
with, which need not necessarily be the same if you didn't build Tw
yourself on your own machine).
On the other hand, we are in principal targeting Qt as far back as 4.3,
wherever possible. The reason for this mainly is located in the Linux
world, AFAIK. Ubuntu, e.g., currently has support for several concurrent
OS versions
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline),
the oldest of which is 8.04 LTS which ships with Qt 4.3.
Maybe we should also expose a function similar to TW.platform() that
provides information about the Qt version available (i.e., min(Qt build
version, Qt runtime version))?

HTH