[texworks] CPU 100% when viewing pdf

kap4lin kap4lin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 04:04:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:32 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 2010-06-29 01:48, schrieb kap4lin:
>> After some more digging around, there seems to be a problem in
>> displaying the proper page size as requested by the geometry package.
>>

> This is very interesting indeed. Though not completely improbable. If
> poppler gets the page size wrong somehow it will naturally run into
> problems while rendering. But this is just speculation...

>>>  * Does this happen with all pdfs, even simple "Hello World" ones?
>>>
>> Yes, whenever something other than "letterpaper" is set as the page
>> size. I've attached a tex file - it has three cases, of which the
>> third one (a4paper) creates problem. I'll be referring to these cases
>> in this reply. Of course, a5paper or a3paper also create the same
>> problem.
>>

> Hm... cases 2 and 3 worked fine for me (I didn't go on to test case 1)
> on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux with TL2009 and Tw r663. Could you also send a
> problematic pdf file (in case it's a problem during typesetting)?

Ah should've provided it yesterday. Anyways, attached.

> I don't know what underlying pdf engine kpdf uses, but acroread
> certainly uses a self-made one. Could you try in Okular (it's kde-based,
> AFAIK) or some other poppler-based application (see
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/poppler) to see how they react to
> your files?

Okular (4:4.4.4.1 w/ poppler 0.12.4-1 on Debian/sid) : opens fine
Evince (0.6.0-13.el5 w/ poppler 0.5.4-4.4.el5 on RHEL 5.5): opens fine

These are the only ones I could lay my hands on easily. I should also
point out that this 100% cpu problem is _not_ seen on the above
Debian/sid machine with TL2009, Qt 4.6.3-1 from repo and Tw r663
compiled as usual. TL seems to configure do a4 default on Debian here
in US as well :(

Anyway, with both okular and evince opening the file fine; now, I am
confused! Is Tw's implementation of poppler at fault then? Or is my
build process at fault?

Anyway, as long as I swear to stay away from a4papers, things should
work. But soon I'll have to prepare a poster and that is not going to
be letterpaper! So, I would still like to go to the bottom of this and
hopefully fix it.

Anything else I can provide / try?

--
Regards