[texworks] r663 runs fine, but segfaults on exit (Linux)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:07:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-06-26 19:18, schrieb Peter Wüsten:
> Am Samstag, den 26.06.2010, 18:03 +0200 schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>

>> * Does this happen also if you just run Tw and close it again
>> immediately (i.e., don't open any files, etc.)?
>>
> Yes, I tried it several times, and it has segfaulted (is that a word?)
> every time.

I'm not sure if this is standard English, by I guess "segfaulted" is
fine as a technical term ;).

>> * Does this happen if you disable/remove the plugins? By default they
>> should be in /usr/local/lib/texworks, I think.
>>
> No segfault on exit anymore. BTW, "sudo make uninstall" in each of the
> plugin source directories was the easiest way to uninstall them.

OK, so it's definitely a plugin problem (as was not quite unexpected; I
experienced some similar issues several times in the past).

>> * If none of the above help, does this also happen if you install the
>> build from https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ppa?
>>
> Hmm, that one doesn't segfault at all. Which is somewhat disappointing
> as I have come accustomed to compiling texworks myself. Any idea what
> might be the problem?

No problem - you'll hopefully be able to keep with that tradition. This
just ensured that this is indeed a (minor) problem with your build,
rather than, e.g., with some odd configuration/setting on your PC that
would cause Tw to fail generally.
So, what I'd do is a complete rebuild of Tw (that's what's done for the
launchpad builds, btw).
Run `make distclean` in texworks-read-only and the plugins-src
subdirectories. This is like `make clean`, but a little more aggressive,
AFAIK. Then run `qmake` again in all those directories. And finally
`make`/`make install`.

HTH