[texworks] Entering Unicode characters directly

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Jun 6 20:26:05 CEST 2010

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I'd suggest writing a script that examines the text immediately before the cursor, and if it can be interpreted as a hexadecimal Unicode value, replaces it with the specified character. That shouldn't be hard. Something like this should get you started:
<snip>
> Left as an exercise for the reader: enhance this to support the full Unicode range up to U+10FFFF, remembering that you'll need to generate surrogate pairs for non-BMP codepoints.

This would be a _really_ useful thing on Windows as well as Linux.  Nice
on OS X too, but the Unicode hex entry "keyboard" provides a convenient
method of entering hex characters that Windows lacks (it has one but
it's clunky and requires users to mess with the registry to get it to
work, at least on Vista).  I frequently use \char"XXXX in TeXworks and
would love an easy way to get the actual characters.

David