[texworks] Using scripts (was: SCRIPT: Insert a new \label{key} - checks for potential duplicate conflict)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:37:31 CEST 2010

Hi Tyler,

Am 2010-05-21 15:01, schrieb Tyler Estler:
> I am migrating from WinEdt to TexWorks, which I really like for its
> simplicity.

Welcome to TeXworks :).

> I am looking for some kind of tutorial introduction to the use of
> scripts such as the one described here. I have done a reasonable
> amount of LaTeX writing, but I am a novice when it comes to scripts etc.
>
> Could someone provide a simple step-by-step guide to the use of
> scripts, hooks, etc?

Scripting is a relatively new feature in TeXworks, so it's not very well
documented yet. Using scripts is quite simple, though. For a brief
introduction in installing scripts, see
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=261&q=SCRIPTS#c1.
Note that you can also put scripts in sub-directories now to keep them
organized.
Then, normal scripts are run simply by clicking on them in the scripts
menu. Hooks, on the other hand, are run automatically by the application
when certain events occur (e.g. typesetting finished) so you don't need
to do anything to get them working.

If you're more interested in writing your own scripts,
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/ScriptingTeXworks may help to get
you started. Note, however, that the syntax used in the examples there
is a bit outdated. Simply replace "target" by "TW.target" and "app" by
"TW.app".

HTH