[texworks] Installing Texworks from source - no make install

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:11:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-04-29 16:33, schrieb Paul Griffith:
> I have been able to build TeXworks from source, thank you for the wiki
> postings. I noticed there is no 'make install' option. So where do I
> move the compiled bits to? What about the auxiliary files (templates,
> help files, etc) ?

By default, everything should work out of the box (i.e., from where you
compiled it). Most auxiliary files go into the configuration folder (see
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/TipsAndTricks#Locating_and_customizing_TeXworks_resources).
Help files are a more delicate matter. On Windows and Mac, they should
be located in a folder "texworks-help" alongside the executable. On
*nix, the default is /usr/local/share/texworks-help but can be
overridden by the environmental variable TW_HELPPATH.

The reason why there is no `make install` (yet) is that for stable
builds, binary packages are usually distributed (as installer, .deb, or
whatever, depending on the OS) in which case the packager has to take
care of properly defining these locations. Custom (experimental) builds,
on the other hand, should work from the directory they are found in, in
part to allow different concurrent versions to coexist. But maybe this
will be changed in the future.

HTH