[texworks] Shortcuts and accelerators

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Sun Apr 18 12:42:43 CEST 2010

Le 18 avr. 2010 à 11:37, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 18 Apr 2010, at 09:39, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> On 18 avr. 2010, at 08:24, Jérome Laurens wrote:
>>
>>> You can use the <TAB> or arrow keys to highlight the button to press
>>> In that case, if you want "Don't Save", press <TAB>+<SPACE>
>>>
>>> No need to deal with semantic shortcuts, no need to bother with translation.
>>>
>>> But, I do not remember if it is default behavior or if it is tied to some preference (Universal Access?)
>>> The only thing I remember is that it is related to the "key view cycle" which is automatically built in not so recent recent systems.
>>
>> You're right, it's available through the Keyboard system pref panel, the same where keyboard shortcuts are defined, and it is off by default:
>>
>> <Capture d’écran 2010-04-18 à 09.56.15.png>
>>
>> I'd never noticed this.
>
> Yes, I was aware that there's a preference to enable this, but I don't see that as an answer to the issue. It's not enabled by default, and I don't expect most users even know it exists; and as Bruno notes, it has much more wide-ranging effects across the entire system. Personally, I like having a shortcut available for "Don't Save" when I'm closing a "throwaway" window; but I do NOT want to change the default behavior of TAB in windows and dialogs everywhere.
>
> JK

The fact is that it is an issue only for some people. In my experience, students or newbies do not feel comfortable with such complex GUIs
and for them, this is not an issue, on the contrary this is a good point.
In this situation, you must ensure that the user can choose if he wants a complex or simple GUI. This is called mutability in GUI design.
That way, when beginners become more advanced users they can activate the more complex GUI.

BTW, IIRC you can change the TAB behavior for only one app, not system wide.

JL