[texworks] Script to install packages on-the-fly

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:13:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-04-11 14:58, schrieb Norbert Preining:
>>> - a different approach would be to use the mktextex function. I did that
>>>   once just out of fun but the problem is with latex that uses
>>>   something where mktexttex does not kick in, so it is useless
>>>

>> Interesting, I've never heard of this function. So I've got to look into
>> this more. Is there any documentation that can get me started (my Linux
>> machine with TL'09 doesn't seem to have a manfile on this)?
>>
> Well you have to set a texmf.cnf variable MKTEXTEX (AFAIR), and also
> I am not sure whether the option was compiled in ...

OK, I dumped this for the moment. It apparently doesn't work reliably
for all cases out of the box, it doesn't seem to be practical for the
average user, and I don't want to add functionality to change the user's
config files to the script (if that's possible at all).

>> Oh, so this is a miktex feature? I always thought it's a feature of the
>> respective editors or possibly of some specially geared dlls. As I wrote
>>
> No, MikTeX feature.

OK. I dumped MiKTeX support in the script now as it has its own mechanism.

There is a new, slightly updated version available at
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=323#c2. It now also
sports a fancy progress dialog (although it will only display useful
information in most cases once the patch of issue 329 is applied).

Thanks for all the replies. I take it since there were no bug reports
that the script works for everyone using TeXLive/MacTeX?

Regards,