[texworks] Script to install packages on-the-fly

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 21:01:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

thank for the fast reply and all the infos.

Am 2010-04-09 20:44, schrieb Norbert Preining:
> Some remarks:
> - you can force tlmgr to continue even if updates for tlmgr are present
>   by adding the --force argument

I noticed that. However the man page of tlmgr said that it was not
recommended to use it, so I avoided it for the time being. In case tlmgr
is out-of-date, I suppose the users should start the normal update
process (e.g. via running tlmgr gui) anyway.

> - a different approach would be to use the mktextex function. I did that
>   once just out of fun but the problem is with latex that uses
>   something where mktexttex does not kick in, so it is useless

Interesting, I've never heard of this function. So I've got to look into
this more. Is there any documentation that can get me started (my Linux
machine with TL'09 doesn't seem to have a manfile on this)?

> - miktex has already on-the-fly installation built in, I guess it would
>   be better to activate that one

Oh, so this is a miktex feature? I always thought it's a feature of the
respective editors or possibly of some specially geared dlls. As I wrote
on the GC issue page, the miktex support is limited in that it can't
search the whole fndb in a feasible amount of time. So this would
certainly be an alternative. Now I just have to figure out how to enable
it ;).

>> Re. Mac: as I understand it, the most popular distro on Mac is MacTeX
>> which is based on TeXLive? If so, does it provide the command line
>> program tlmgr?
>>
> As said, it does.

Great. Then the script should work out of the box for Mac, too.

Regards,