[texworks] Poppler image display issue

Casey P. Johnson cpj at math.utah.edu
Mon Apr 5 23:53:21 CEST 2010

Hi.

I am having a strange issue with pdf display. The attached .png files are
images of the same pdf, one opened in TeXworks and the other in Foxit
(acrobat reader display is similar to Foxit). The .zip file includes the
individual images that are combined to make the .png files.

As you can see, each of the diagrams (generated by GraphViz), when opened
in TeXworks, has some characters left out. What seems to be happening is
the first character in each image is not being displayed, and then all
other instances of that character in that image are also being omitted.

When I saw this, I was reminded of Benny Lautrup's issue back in February
with included Mathematica files. I re-read most of the thread, and I think
the main advice was to make sure that the correct fonts were embedded.

Both Foxit and Adobe Reader are telling me that the font is embedded (It's
Courier New, anyway), so I am at a loss for ideas.

I can produce .gv -> .eps -> .pdf and it seems to work fine, but would
like to understand why the path .gv -> .pdf doesn't work. If anyone has
any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Casey

P.S. I am using Miktex 2.8, various versions of TeXworks >= r.571 (on
different machines with Windows XP / 7) and experiencing the same problem
on all of them.