[texworks] close and exit

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Mon Apr 5 02:46:27 CEST 2010

Scripsit Jonathan:

> Surely it's normal for an application to exit if you close its last (or
> only) open window? Once the window is closed, there's no user interface
> for you to interact with it further. What would you expect to see after
> you close the window?

I work mainly on Windows, and a great many programs (including MS Office;
also FontLab Studio, GIMP, OpenOffice, and Adobe Reader, to name just those
that I have used today) allow you to close all open documents, leaving you
with a mostly blank screen and a menu bar with only a limited number of
always think of "close" as meaning "close the document" and "exit" as "shut
down the program."  Some of the simple programs that come with Windows
(Paint and Notepad, e.g.) don't have a "close" but only an exit option.

I would prefer to see TeXworks behave this way, since I too sometimes am
done with one document and can't close it without shutting down the program,
even though I want to work on a different file.  I know it's only a saving
of one step, but I guess I am used to doing it that way.

David