[texworks] ver 567 Scripts - Cariag/Line returns now coming back as ??

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:41:59 CET 2010

On 17 Mar 2010, at 02:03, Paul A Norman wrote:

> Does this relate? When I reopen one of my master documents, it has a call for
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} % set input encoding (not needed with XeLaTeX)
>
> As per the document template.

I don't think TeXworks should pay any attention to this. However, if there's a "% !TEX encoding = ....." comment, it will try to interpret this to detect the character encoding as it reads the file.

> I get a message box when the document opens complaining that UTF--8 is
> not supported it will be interpreted as  UTF-8

True; I've never heard of "UTF--8" (and more important, neither has Qt's text codec collection). It looks like maybe a TeX-style en-dash? That's not appropriate in the encoding name.

> What is the difference between UTF (two dashes) 8 and UTF (one dash) 8?

Simple: the first is wrong, the second is correct. So the question is, where's that "UTF--8" coming from? My guess is that there must be a "% !TEX encoding" line in your file.

JK