[texworks] Delvi

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 07:02:05 CET 2010

** delvi medina [2010-02-23 09:20:23 -0800]:

>  I need to type my project using Latex.  So, I download a free software.  When I wanted to download Latex, it said a protex is for windows, then I proceed.  Now, I am concerned because my profesor told me that I must use two colums to type my paper and with this textworks, pdflatex.  I couldn't figureout how to do it.  Could you plase tell me, How I can do it.

Sorry Delvi but this is wrong list. You should ask LaTeX/TeX related
questions on texhax list (see list of mailing lists on tug).

In short: much depends on what engine do you use: pdftex, pdflatex,
xetex, xelatex, luatex, lualatex.

When you will ask question in future (in this list or in texhax) provide
move information about you problem.

Concerning your question: I assume that you use pdflatex engine (pdfLaTeX
in TeXworks) and use article document class (your file begins with
\documentclass{article}).

So, if you want to typeset your document in two columns you need to
pass option 'twocolumn' into class file, like below
<example>
\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
</example>

I advise you to use geometry package to control your document layout
(see package documentation).

Just for note:
 - protex is TeX distribution (like MikTeX and TeX Live).
 - TeXworks is just text editor (it helps you to edit files to be
   processed further by latex engine).
 - LaTeX is macro package built on top of (plain) tex.
 - latex, pdflatex, xelatex, lualatex these are engines which are used
   to produce either DVI or PDF file.

Don't fotget to read LaTeX manuals (see list on tug.org).

--
She's learned to say things with her eyes that others waste time putting
into words.