[texworks] Using .ps/.eps figures with TexWorks

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 07:53:57 CET 2010

** Spencer Klein [2010-01-27 16:35:53 -0800]:

> Hi,

> Please forgive what is probably a stupid question.  I am a long-term
> .tex user, trying to convert to TexWorks.  I have TexWorks 0.1, running
> on a Windows XP.  I am trying to .tex a file containing .eps figures,
> and keep getting the error message:

> Latex Error: Unknown graphics extension .eps.
TeXworks uses pdflatex so any images (preferably) should be in PDF
format. See epstopdf package or epstopdf tool (both exist on CTAN).

> This happens even with a file that ran perfectly on Miktex, and also on
> the Cornell arXiv server:
> http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.1161

IMHO, on arxiv.org they use the same tool epstopdf (actually arxiv.org
uses special script which perform any essential convertions).

> The header reads:

> \documentclass[twocolumn,showpacs,preprintnumbers,amsmath,amssymb]{revtex4}

> \usepackage{graphicx}% Include figure files
> \usepackage{dcolumn}% Align table columns on decimal point
> \usepackage{bm}% bold math

> and the typical figure is included with

> \begin{figure}[tb]
> \includegraphics[width=6.3cm]{probrho_water.eps}
>   \caption{\label{rhoprobability} $\rho$ probability as a function of
> depth in a slab
> for a $10^{23}$ eV photon incident on a water target.  The two broad
> peaks around 20 and 40 cm
> correspond to $\Delta k L = 2n\pi$ at the $\rho$ pole mass.}
> \end{figure}
Never use extenstion! Just use filename, in your case use just
\includegraphisc[width=6.3cm]{probrho_water}

If you have image in eps and pdf format then depending on invoking
engine (latex or pdflatex) apropriate file will be inserted.

--
I have learned silence from the talkative,
toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind.