[texworks] Using .ps/.eps figures with TexWorks

Spencer Klein SRKLEIN at LBL.GOV
Thu Jan 28 01:35:53 CET 2010

Hi,

Please forgive what is probably a stupid question.  I am a long-term
.tex user, trying to convert to TexWorks.  I have TexWorks 0.1, running
on a Windows XP.  I am trying to .tex a file containing .eps figures,
and keep getting the error message:

Latex Error: Unknown graphics extension .eps.

This happens even with a file that ran perfectly on Miktex, and also on
the Cornell arXiv server:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.1161

The header reads:

\documentclass[twocolumn,showpacs,preprintnumbers,amsmath,amssymb]{revtex4}

\usepackage{graphicx}% Include figure files
\usepackage{dcolumn}% Align table columns on decimal point
\usepackage{bm}% bold math

and the typical figure is included with

\begin{figure}[tb]
\includegraphics[width=6.3cm]{probrho_water.eps}
  \caption{\label{rhoprobability} $\rho$ probability as a function of
depth in a slab
for a $10^{23}$ eV photon incident on a water target.  The two broad
peaks around 20 and 40 cm
correspond to $\Delta k L = 2n\pi$ at the $\rho$ pole mass.}
\end{figure}

This is the same thing that I have been doing for years, and I would
expect it to work on any correct version of .tex.
What am I missing?

Spencer Klein, LBNL
srklein at lbl.gov