[texworks] Commenting pdfs?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:42:43 CET 2010

Hi all,

thanks for your opinions on this. I've decided to postpone this and,
should I start this, to do it as a separate project.

Just to answer a questions that arose:
We were talking about PDF comments here. Since PDF is portable, these
comments would be. We were not talking about additional meta-files or
something like that. So comments made this way should basically be
viewable (and editable) with all PDF viewers that support comments.

And finally to the (a little off-topic) wish-list items:

Am 2010-01-14 09:38, schrieb Bruno Voisin:
> Le 14 janv. 2010 à 01:28, T T a écrit :
>
>> Some features that I miss currently:
>> - remember state on document reopen (window size, pdf page, bookmarks
>> pane, etc.)

Window size and bookmarks pane should be possible (see also issue 150).
About the pdf page, this is inherently a property connected to the pdf
in question, so this would require file-specific data to be stored
somewhere. Personally, I'm reluctant to do this, as this could easily
clutter the hard drive of people who work on many different pdfs. Plus,
from the POV that Tw is primarily an editor, we're usually dealing with
rapidly changing documents, so the pdf page may not always be significant...

>> - continuous page viewing (I miss that one in particular)

Agreed. I'm currently working on an improved PDF preview.

> Seconded. Plus:
>
> - Printing.

This is not as easy as it sounds, but has been discussed a few times
here on the mailing list already. See also issue 78.

> - Fine-tuning of Poppler rendering. I reported once that CM fonts look too spindly in TeXworks on the Mac, causing eye strain, and was answered it's the design of CM which is to blame, that CM fonts weren't designed for screen rendering and are inherently spindly. That's true of course, but only to some extent: with all the other PDF viewers I've got hold of, CM fonts are rendered bolder than with TeXworks.

I agree that this would be nice, but unfortunately it's not really
possible. All the antialiasing options available are used. In a new
poppler release (0.12.1), a new hinting feature was added. This is not
the version we build against, though, so we can't activate it.
(Personally, I don't think it would make that much difference, but I
haven't tried). If you want to build Tw yourself, I could easily provide
you with the changes you'd have to do to enable this feature.

Finally, I'd like to ask you to start new thread(s) for discussions
about the items on this wish list. I don't want to spoil the fun, but
it's not that difficult to start a new thread and it greatly simplifies
searching for older postings in the future.

Regards,