[texworks] Editor messes with Latin1 encoded files (Umlaute destroyed)

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 22:14:43 CET 2010

On 06/01/2010 20:59, Matthias Pospiech wrote:
> Joseph Wright schrieb:
>> % !TEX encoding = <insert-encoding-here>
>>
> I am surprised that you introduce editor specific code...

Well I see a lot of files with emacs stuff at the end, and I never worry
about it. (The "!TEX" stuff is not unique to TeXworks, as it comes from
TeXshop as I understand it).

>> or of course change the TeXworks preferences to default to something
>> other than UTF8.
> That would unfortunately not match my needs. I have code written under
> linux and others written under windows.

So? You can (and I'd suggest should) write UTF-8 on Windows, Linux, Mac,
FreeBSF, ... (probably on an iPhone, for all I know).

> And I never know in advance what I load. So I really need to specify
> this in the loading dialog or after the file is loaded.
> Changing the settings each time does not look like the right solution,
> though it would probably work .

I guess auto-detecting encoding is a relatively low priority job for
Jonathan, as most people will know the encoding that they use
themselves, and part of the TeXworks idea is that by using UTF-8 life
becomes easier.

> Isnt there some kind of library that KDE wanted to use to identify the
> encoding in advance for their KDE 4 series?

Well that's not much help: TeXworks is not a KDE app (after all, it's
cross-platform).
--
Joseph Wright