[texworks] Typesetting to a postscript file (not to PDF)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Dec 29 13:25:01 CET 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 8:35 AM, David Perry wrote:

> I want to send out a PDF for review, but Adobe Reader tells me that
> commenting is not allowed (Document / Security / Show security
> properties). And, in fact, if I request that the commenting toolbar
> be shown while viewing the PDF, Reader won't.

As Stefan suspected, you merely need to open the xetex-generated .pdf
in the commercial version of Adobe Acrobat (I use the Professional
bundled w/ the Creative Suite) and then enable the document for
commenting --- there is no requirement that the .pdf be distilled from
PostScript to be comment-enabled.

If there is some other requirement that the document be distilled
from .ps, the best way to do this (w/ the most options relevant to pre-
press) is to open the file in Adobe Acrobat and save it out as a .ps
from there --- I'll spare you the story of the time I had to try
different permutations until I arrived at using Adobe Acrobat Reader
Version 4 w/ the Apple LaserWriter Printer driver version 8.6 emitting
Level 1 PostScript, but w/ the checkbox for Level 3 page semantics
turned on in order to get a file which would distill.....

Of course if one needs to do this in a batch environment then Bruno's
suggestion of pdftops or epspdf are both good.

William Adams
senior graphic designer
Fry Communications
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.