[texworks] Compilation with error in encoding T1

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 16 15:33:49 CET 2009

On 16 December 2009 Stefan Löffler wrote:

 > Am 2009-12-16 14:43, schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
 > > On 16 December 2009 Stefan Löffler wrote:
 > >
 > >  > It looks like LaTeX is not finding the file H:\Miktex
 > >  > portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def.
 > >
 > > It is found and read.  From the log file:
 > >
 > > ("H:\Miktex portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def"
 > > File: t1enc.def 2005/09/27 v1.99g Standard LaTeX file
 > > LaTeX Font Info:    Redeclaring font encoding T1 on input line 43.
 > > )
 > >
 > > The problem obviously occurs later.
 > >

 > Yeah, you're right. My fault.
 > But if I understand those LaTeX messages correctly, the error occurs
 > while LaTeX is still parsing fontenc.sty, right?

Doesn't the closing brace mean that the file is closed?  Then there is
nothing wrong with fontenc.sty.

BTW,

   miktex-pdftex.exe: Read operation failed.

doesn't look like a TeX error message.  There must be something else
than a missing or corrupt file.  Maybe a corrupt filesystem which
causes miktex-pdftex.exe to crash, or, less likely, a permission
problem.  I would first try:

   type /path/to/babel.sty

If the file can be opened, ask on the MikTeX mailing list what causes
this error message.  It looks like a low level IO error.

You get such low level IO errors if you run TeX from a scratched DVD.
The device driver will not pass a data block to the OS if it's invalid.
Sometimes it helps to clean the DVD...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25