[texworks] Bugs: Key Shortcuts and Settings, LaTeX run not possible

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 21:13:42 CET 2009

Hi,

I'll try to comment on several of the issues mentioned here.

1) Keyboard shortcuts
The problem that certain combinations are not always available/possible is
known. I'd like to stress, however, that this is not language specific, it
rather depends on the keyboard layout you choose. And AFAIK, there's no easy
way to determine that automatically in Qt. As Joseph pointed out, this has
been discussed on the list several times. I'd like to emphasize that this
depends very much on both your operating system and your keyboard layout.
What works for the German/Windows combination, may fail horribly for
Linux/Norwegian or Mac/Korean (and vice-versa, of course). Please keep this
in mind.
That said, there are plans and also some coding to implement custom key maps
(see http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=17). Right now, this
is rather rudimentary, but it works.
BTW: I am using the Linux/German combination, and IIRC indent worked for me.

2) The font settings
This, too, is already on the issues list (
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=89). Matthias' point is a
very valid one, adding a "set as default" option to the normal format dialog
is difficult, however (I omit the coding related details for now). And as
Jonathan remarked on GC, changing the font in all windows (without
possibility to revert to the original in individual windows) is not really
acceptable.

3) LaTeX is missing from the default tools
I believe the reason for this is simply that latex would produce output
(dvi) that Tw (i.e., the internal previewer) can't handle. If we included
such a tool, and people would simply typeset their document with it, they
would rightfully complain that all the great features (preview, synctex,
etc.) are broken because they don't see anything. If you require latex for
some reason - and know what you're doing - it's very easy to add latex as a
tool (through the preferences dialog). However, this usually shouldn't be
required, as most documents compile fine with both latex and pdflatex. Only
if you use some specialties (like pstricks, I believe), only one of them
works. So I vote for keeping it the way it is now, as I believe that it
suites most novice users and works in most cases.
BTW: For a Windows batch script you may be able to use/adjust, see Minh Duc
Thai's message http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2009q4/001903.html

HTH
-Stefan

PS: Before telling everyone here what "must be changed" or "is absolutely
nonsense", please take the time to try to look at your problem from a more
objective point of view. There are other people out there who may have
different operating systems, languages, believes, and needs which should be
taken into account as well. It would also be a good idea to take a quick
look at GC and the posts on this list here, since quite a few issues have
already been discussed there.