[texworks] TexWorks not detecting configuration folder?

Ng E-Ching ng.eching at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:20:59 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have been trying to change my syntax-patterns.txt to get different
colors for syntax highlighting, but nothing seems to have any effect. In
fact, I think TeXworks isn't even detecting my configuration folder,
because I tried deleting it and it wasn't recreated the next time I
started up. (Yes, I did back up first. :) I thought maybe the problem
was that I had originally installed texlive in C:\Program Files\texlive
and then moved it manually to C:\texlive, so I moved the whole thing
back to Program Files, but still no go.

About my setup: My syntax highlighting is on and set to LaTeX in Edit >
Preferences > Syntax coloring (I'm trying to change the color of the
comments to something that's not bright red), TeXworks is starting up
despite being moved everywhere, and I'm using TeX Live 2009 in Windows
XP without any TeXworks updates. The TeXworks executable is in
C:\texlive\2009\bin\win32\ and syntax-patterns.txt is in
C:\texlive\2009\texmf-dist\context\data\texworks\configuration.

This is the syntax-patterns.txt that I'm using to test things out,
simplified a little from
http://www.texdev.net/2009/11/13/background-colouring-in-TeXworks/:

[LaTeX]

# special characters
darkred        N    [$#^_{}&]

# LaTeX environments
darkgreen    N    \\(?:begin|end)\s*\{[^}]*\}

# LaTeX packages
darkblue    N    \\usepackage\s*(?:\[[^]]*\]\s*)?\{[^}]*\}

# control sequences
blue        N    \\(?:[A-Za-z@]+|.)

# comments
green            Y    %.*

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong? I really like TeXworks, but I
comment extensively and I can't handle huge blocks of bright red! (Green
is bad too, but I'll change it to grey after I get it to work for an
unambiguously spelled colour.)

E-Ching