[texworks] back and forth between source tex and pdf?

kap4lin kap4lin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 22:52:22 CET 2009

Ok, this reply is a bit late, but quite a lot was compiled in between.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    Is this texlive 2009 compilable on RedHat EL 5.3 (or 5.4)?
>
> Sure.  I am using it on CentOS 5.4.  The i386-linux binaries we provide
> were intentionally built on an old system (Debian sarge), so at worst
> you should have to install some "compatibility" libraries.
>
> You don't have to build it yourself from source (and I wouldn't advise
> doing so unless you really want to).  See http://tug.org/texlive for the
> various ways of getting it.

Well, I did it anyway, using the install-tl script. It was pretty
trivial actually. And then setting the appropriate paths were easy
too. Things work perfect on the Debian/sid machine, anyway that was
texlive.

Here comes the funny part. I am trying get this on RedHat EL 5.4
(which has qt3, KDE3). So, the process that I followed was (C&I =
compile and install):

0. install-tl to install texlive in (~/usr/local/texlive)
1. C&I Qt 4.5.3 ( in ~/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.3)
2. C&I poppler-0.12.2 ( in ~/usr/local/)
3. C&I hunspell-1.2.8 (in ~/usr/local/)
4. C&I TexWorks-0.2.3 (in ~/usr/local/)

What works:
1. Local installation of texlive works fine (see 3 here).
2. Texworks starts and works fine as an editor
3. PdfLatex compilation from the menubar/toolbar does the appropriate
typesetting.
4. Syntax highlighting

What doesn't work:
1. Whenever the typeset pdf is opened the latex window becomes
borderless. I can access the menu though.
2. The pdf viewer does not show anything - just blank pages, although
the pdf is generated correctly (as seen from kpdf or acroread)
3. Spell check in the latex document is missing.

Now, ~/usr/local/lib (and many others) are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Similarly, ~/usr/local/bin (and many others are) in the PATH.

Having come this far, it would be disappointing to not be able to use
texworks! Any help? I can provide further details as needed.

--
Regards
Kap4Lin