[texworks] cocoAspell and TeXworks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 27 16:42:15 CET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Chris Coath wrote:

> Has anybody succeeded in using cocoAspell spell checker in OSX 10.6?  The install seems to work, I can select a dictionary (in Applications -> System Preferances -> Spelling) but the Edit -> Spelling menu in TeXworks shows only [tick]None.

Howdy,

TeXworks uses the built-in Hunspell spell checker. Follow Bruno Voisin's advice about installing dictionaries. Ans, as he said, it's not (La)TeX aware.

On the other hand, CocaAspell works fine under OS X 10.6 with other applications but you have to set System Preferences->Language & Text->Text->Spelling to the Aspell dictionary of your choice as well as select it in the Spelling pane in one of your Cocoa applications.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)