[texworks] Configuring Asymptote as a Texworks tool

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:05:41 CET 2009

Hi,

Jannie Hofmeyr schrieb:
> I am trying to configure Texworks to use Asymptote as a tool (under
> Windows XP). The command should be
>
>  asy.exe -batchView -tex pdflatex filename
>
> which works fine when I run it from the command line.
>
> My current configuration (from tools.ini) is:
>
> [009]
> name=Asymptote
> program=asy.exe
> arguments=-batchView, "-tex pdflatex", %fullname
> showPdf=true
>
> The error message is:
>
>  asy: unknown option -- tex pdflatex
>
> Has anyone had succes in configuring Asymptote as a tool? If not, can
> anyone give advice?

I think this is a problem similar to the one I experienced when I tried
to configure Tw with latexmk. Try the following line:
arguments=-batchView, -tex, pdflatex, $fullname
(I think it was $fullname instead of %fullname, if your system needs the
% character by all means change that). That is, provide the "-tex" and
the "pdflatex" as separate arguments in the configuration dialog.

The problem is the way Qt internally handles spaces in the list of
arguments (it encloses them in quotation marks, which doesn't work for
running processes). I think this was brought up somewhere in the past,
but maybe we should add this workaround to the wiki.

HTH