[texworks] Questions about encoding

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Nov 7 01:14:00 CET 2009

On 6 November 2009 Peter Hertel wrote:

 > [...] Naturally, UTF-8 is better because it is the emerging
 > standard.

UTF-8 is the only reasonable encoding system and I really hope that we
can get rid of all the others in the near future.  Since we have the
internet, the world is much smaller now, and national character
encodings are a pain.

 > [...] I could not find a bach program which tranlated my files from
 > latin1 to UTF-8. Or is there one?

There is a Unix program called iconv which does exactly that and is
easy to use:

I don't know whether a binary is available for Windows already, but
it's worthwhile to search the internet.  It's a very useful tool.

If you don't find a binary, you can install MinGW and try to compile a
Windows binary from the sources yourself.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25