[texworks] Accessibility of Texworks

James & Nash james.austin1984 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:53:38 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I have been using Latex for about two years now on and off, on both Mac and
Windows and I was really impressed with the new features of Miktex. However,
the Texworks application does not seem to be accessible with my Screen
Reader on Windows JAWS. I suspect that this has to do with the fact that the
app is using the QT library. I cannot check this right now, but I also
suspect that it will not be accessible under Mac OS X or Linux as Voice Over
on Mac uses Coco and Orca on Linux uses GTK and AT-SPI, although I
understand that work is being done to make QT play nicely with Orca.

Would there be any possibility of me chatting to one of the developers of
Texworks please, to see if we can make the app accessible? This app sounds
like it could be excellent - especially as it is based on TEXShop which is
really great. I don't mind using the command line, but I'd rather hit a
button to save time than have to type commands. I know, I'm lazy, but I was
not brought up on the Command Line, and it is very confusing to me although
I'm learning.

Anyway...

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading any responses on the list
as well as other subjects that come up.

Best