[texworks] Spell checker

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Sat Oct 31 13:56:58 CET 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> wrote:

> Does this mean hunspell can now be installed and work with TeXworks on the
> Mac? I thought that was still on the TODO list for the future.
>
> Or do you mean hunspell must be installed separately using Fink or Mac
> Ports?
>
> Last question: this is all separate from CocoAspell, I imagine? Too bad, as
> CocoAspell integration within OS X (as a system preference panel fully
> configurable via a GUI and usable by any Mac application) is really
> top-of-the-range.
>
> Bruno Voisin

Yes-- I built hunspell from source and compiled TeXworks against it. It was
a little tricky for to force a i386 build on Snow Leopard as lots of things
like to default to x86_64 no matter what you set for  --arch in CFLAGS or
CPPFLAGS. I had to resort to dirty tricks such as setting the architecture
in the name of the compiler:

  CXX='g++ --arch i386'

I would imagine that Fink or MacPorts could provide a ready-made library--
also I think the Mac binaries available from the TeXworks project site
include a version of hunspell.

As for a different spell checking system-- I recently stumbled across the
Enchant library:

  http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/

It looks like a spell checking library that can use multiple back ends--
such as Aspell or Apple's spell checking system. It would be interesting to
see if the spell checker in TeXworks could be rebased on Enchant.

I personally have zero time for hacking projects at the moment but maybe I
will be able check it out in a few months.

-Charlie