[texworks] TeXworks, Ukelele and dead keys on Mac

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 13:55:13 CET 2009

Hello Jonathan,

it will take me a while before I'll grasp the exact functionality of
keyboards in macs. Last time I was complaining that cmd+something
using Dvorak layout didn't work in firefox. (And once in the meantime
I was complaining that the same thing didn't work in TeXworks on
linux.)

Now I have a different problem. I'm attaching the keyboard generated
with Ukelele. It's a Dvorak layout with the idea of
    alt+g, followed by some letter
to generate some greek letter (a should generate α, b should generate
β etc.) It's not a complete implementation yet (in the sense that many
letters are missing), but that's not too important. The keyboard works
fine on Safari, TextMate, Terminal, ... but produces utterly weird
results on TeXworks. When I press
    "cmd+g","a"
in TeXworks I get "gα" instead of just "α". All other pre-built
accents (acutes etc.) seem to work just fine in TeXworks and "my"
Greek letters work fine in all other "native Mac" programs, only
TeXworks is causing.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for the weird behaviour?
OS X? Qt? Ukelele? Does TeXworks use it's own mechanism for reading
input? (I doubt it, but one never knows.)

Thanks a lot and sorry for the weird question,
    Mojca