[texworks] 2 instances of texworks at the same time

Martin Friedrich martinfriedrich at gmx.com
Sun Oct 18 14:09:03 CEST 2009

Am 17.10.2009 22:29, schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Martin Friedrich wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm new to this list but i love texworks since it's included in Miktex
>> 2.8 :-) Very great peace of software!
>>
>> I've got a short question:
>> is there a way to open texworks (editor and pdf-viewer) two times with
>> different documents?
>>
>> The idea is to put the 2 instances of texworks on different monitors
>> or virtual desktops (e.g. using dexpot) to be able to copy several
>> parts of one document to another new one in a very comfortable way...
>>
>> steps:
>> Instance no.1:
>> find the desired part in the pdf
>> jump to the code (synced)
>> copy it
>>
>> switch to instance no.2
>> paste the code
>> compile it
>> check the appearance in the pdf
>>
>> switch back to instance no.1
>> find the next wanted part in the pdf
>>

>> Best regards from Hannover, Germany
>>
>> Martin
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm not familiar with Windows, but can't you just open both documents in
> TeXworks and move the windows around?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hi list

after playing around for some time with this problem, it doesn't seems
that easy using texworks "twice" in windows (vista + miktex 2.8).

A work arround is using a virtual maschine with a separate windows
running in it, e.g. free virtualbox.

But there are some disadvantages:
you need some hardware power, espacially RAM
and you have to take care for a second installation (updates...)

Shouldn't it be possible to start 2 instances for independent documents
(in different folders)?

Does anybody know a way?