[texworks] xargs / lstlistings quoting of arguments

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 00:13:36 CEST 2009

Dear Sam,
You are wanting to publish your working code through Latex?

Trusting I have grasped your predicament correctly ...

I'm not sure quite how this might work with you using a batch mode
(consecutive file input?), and you may need to preprocess the files as well
to cloth them with the $ sign ...

 -- p.54 of the listings package manual reads:

   "The listings package defines the mathescape key,
    which lets ‘$’ escape to TEX’s math mode."

command prompt:> texdoc listings

Are you perhaps able to ulitise this during a pre-process, to clothe any
difficult characters to allow your needed string literals?

As another route ... I have effectively used even Php5 cli scripts on
the command line to process data through a personally defined LaTeX
template, generating a new LaTeX document conforming to my needs.  Then
process through TeXWorks.

In the future through scripting, you will even possibly be able to directly
achieve this through TeXWorks' scripting engine(s) ;-)

Think of it as a mail merge of sorts.  In it you can use maths
$ sometimes to 'escape' the difficult characters.  (set an array of them in
your scripting language of choice :)  and either REGEXPRESSION or "cloth"
through simple string replace, encountered members of the array with the
maths $ or other treatment as needed.  Source can be your files from disk,
database or whatever,  result in a beautiful LaTeX set of documents ready to
process to make beautiful code listings, or at least hopefully input file(s)
that will work for you !

As I said above - Trusting I have grasped your predicament correctly ...

Paul