[texworks] Synctex again

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:16:11 CEST 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 10:44, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Advertising TeXworks and using the official installer I did install
> TeXworks on a machine (under Windows XP) with MikTeX and
> TeXnicCenter (system in working conditions).
>
> I was first astonished that I could install it in Program Files, as
> we did not have administrator privileges.
>
> But after compiling a test document I got the message in the status
> bar of the previewer: "No SynTeX data available"; and of course no
> movement between preview and source.
>
> I did check to see if there was any accented character in any path
> used (program, TeXworks resource folder, document location) and
> there was none.
> Just one thing: "Program Files\TeXworks" is on C: and "Documents and
> settings" on D:
>
> I also tested with my version of the program, same result.
>
> My demonstration was not very convincing!!!
>
> Any suggestion to solve (and avoid) this?

Did a \jobname.synctex.gz file get created? I'm guessing not, which
would mean that the necessary synctex option was not passed to the
engine.

What version of MikTeX was installed? I think synctex requires at
least 2.7; and if the system has MikTeX 2.8, then it includes a custom
build of texworks, which presumably is configured properly, so it
would make sense to use that rather than install a separate copy.

JK