[texworks] 'e' command in console

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:38:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

Jérome Laurens schrieb:
> when tex finds an error and waits for user input, you can enter 'e' in
> the console
> The default behaviour is to launch vim
> The expected behaviour is to use texworks instead of vim of course
> AFAIR, you have to set up the TEXEDIT environment variable to a shell
> tool to be defined.

Yes, it is (according to http://linux.die.net/man/1/tex). The problem is
that Tw doesn't come with a command line parser yet. This is a known
issue (http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=113) but I
don't think it will be solved before the release. Once the command line
parser is implemented, the rest should be a piece of cake. I've added it
as issue 195
(http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=195&start=100).

> This problem is closely related to the possibility to make texworks
> communicate with an external pdf viewer for example.
> (Skim, Sumatra pdf are good pdf viewers, somehow better than the
> included one)

If they obey the TEXEDIT environment variable (or something similar), I
agree. Still, we need to be able to pass more parameters than just
filenames to Tw (this should actually make other guys (e.g. for portable
operation) happy as well ;)).