[texworks] Print function in the pdf viewer

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 12 00:49:51 CEST 2009

On 11 September 2009 Jonathan Kew wrote:

 > On 11 Sep 2009, at 22:44, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
 >
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > A thing I miss most is Print function in the pdf viewer. Is it easy
 > > to implement?
 >
 > If it were easy, it would have been there from the start. :) Some kind
 > of simple printing is easy, but it's not easy to implement a print
 > function that will do a high-quality, efficient job on all platforms
 > and for all types of printer.
 >
 > Stefan has written an experimental patch that provides printing
 > support, and you can get Windows builds that include this from Alain's
 > site -- check the mailing list archives. (Sorry, I don't remember
 > which platform you're using.)

What does it use in order to convert PDF to something which printers
understand?  As a first step, PDF can be converted to PostScript, and
Derek's pdftops can do this on all platforms.  Though xpdf itself
depends on X11 and therefore doesn't work on Windows, pdftops is a
command-line tool which can be compiled on Windows too.  There is a
binary in TeX Live already: bin/win32/pdftops.exe

Maybe it's useful somehow.  But maybe PostScript isn't enough on
Windows...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25