[texworks] Linux Application Bundle of TeXworks released

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 8 19:18:12 CEST 2009

On 8 Sep 2009, at 14:47, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Regarding the subpixel rendering patch to poppler: unfortunately, it
> doesn't look particularly good on the example document I tried. See
> the
> attached screenshot for a comparison between the unpatched build
> (left)
> and your version (right). The characters seem a bit bolder (which was
> what you intended, if I understood you correctly), but they also
> look a
> bit larger.

Yes, they do, but in general they look better-formed than the original
rather spindly rendering (IMO).

> My main concern, however, is the boxes produced by hyperref.
> While they appear as thin, well-spaced boxes on the left, they have
> thick lines and too little spacing on the right. But this is just my
> personal taste.

I definitely agree that the hyperref link outlines are a problem. I
wonder if it would be possible to use Cairo options such that the text
would be improved without affecting the lines in this way.

(In any case, it would be good to look at a wider variety of examples,
using both CM and other fonts.)

JK