[texworks] more on the "missing console"

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:44:04 CEST 2009

On 13 Aug 2009, at 09:22, Daniel Becker wrote:

> Am 13.08.2009 um 10:02 schrieb Alain Delmotte:
>
>>> 3) When the compilation of a text fails, it would be great if the
>>> console window at the bottom would offer me to abort the process and
>>> to remove the aux files. I don't have the console bar that is
>>> shown in
>>> the manual.
>> ?? This is for Jonathan. ! You are working on a Mac?!
>
> update on this (yes, on a Mac): with r352 optained via MacTeX2009, I
> have the console in case of an error. An I also have it with r363
> when the error is
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.122 \hjghjqewkjh
>
> But with the following error
>
> Latexmk: -r ~/Library/TeXworks/pdflatexmkrc bad option
> Latexmk: Bad options specified
> Use
> latexmk -help
> to get usage information
>
> there is no console. It seems to depend on the kind of error...
> There is also no console when I try to run bibtex but the bib-file
> is wrongly specified. Maybe this makes sense...

The text-input line at the bottom of the window is present as long as
the tool/process is running; it disappears as soon as the process
terminates. So with \foo in your TeX source (assuming \errorstopmode),
the TeX program keeps running, waiting for a user response; so the
input line is available. But if Latexmk simply exits with an error
message when it gets a "bad option", then the input line will vanish
as there is no process to give input to.

As for setting up a Latexmk engine:

> 1) I tried to add and engine for (pdf)latexmk. The settings in the
> screenshot work as expected. But I am not able to add the option
> that loads a configuration file. On the command line, it would be
> latexmk -pdf -r ~/Library/TeXworks/pdflatexmkrc /path/to/doc/
> report.tex
>
> However, just adding
>
> -r ~/Library/TeXworks/pdflatexmkrc
>
> as an argument doesn't work. I tried also -r "~/Library/TeXworks/
> pdflatexmkrc".

The "-r" and the filename are two separate arguments, and need to be
specified as separate entries in the list. Try that and see if it helps.

The other question is whether "~" will be understood; offhand, I don't
know. Normally, I believe the shell expands this, but I don't know
whether that will happen when you call Latexmk from TeXworks in this
way. If not, you'd have to use /Users/<yourname>/.... instead.

> And what is the meaning of $fullname?

This is replaced by the full name of the current file (i.e., the
document to be processed).

JK