[texworks] Some remarks regarding TeXworks on Mac OS X

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:27:50 CEST 2009

On 3 Aug 2009, at 16:19, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 03-08-2009, at 08:35, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>
>> Hi Berend,
>>
>> I think (hope) that you have the same kind of possibility under Mac
>> then Windows for (re-)defining your keyboard short-cuts.
>> See at my site: http://www.leliseron.org/texworks for the part on
>> "shortcuts.ini" and the possible actions.
>> For example I did redefine Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End to go to
>> beginning and end of the preview.
>>

> Most extraordinary.
> I defined in ~/Library/TeXworks/configuration/shortcuts.ini
>
> actionLast_Page = Ctrl+End
> actionFirst_Page = Ctrl+Home
>
> which doesn't work (these key combinations do nothing).
> But then Command+End and Command+Home goto the last and first page
> of the preview respectively.
>
> Mysterious.
>
> Berend

No, that's not mysterious, it's a feature of Qt.

   http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qkeysequence.html#details

Because it is a cross-platform framework, Qt "translates" Ctrl+<key>
shortcuts into the corresponding Cmd+<key> for the Mac. This generally
works pretty well -- so for example, File/Open and File/Save are Ctrl
+O and Ctrl+S for Windows and Linux, and they appear as Cmd+O and Cmd
+S on the Mac. But obviously it can be a little confusing if you're
thinking purely as a Mac user when writing shortcut key names.

JK